This is an old post, but its so quick and simple to make, I wanted to share it with you! Of course, when I am a pseudo vegan for 100 days out of each year, I like to experiment with different recipes. This time, I opted for a protein rich, black bean soup! It took all of 25 minutes to prepare and cook before consumption. Here's what you'll need:
- 4 cups of Black Beans (soaked overnight)
- 2 whole Tomatoes
- 4 cups of Vegetable Broth
- 2 handfuls of Spinach, chopped
- 2 handfuls of cilantro, chopped
- 2 handfuls of parsely, chopped
- 1/2 Red Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Red or Yellow Bell Pepper, chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- Seasonings: garlic powder, garlic salt, chipotle, cayenne, cumin, fresh oregano, 1 bay leaf, onion powder (amount varies pending on your taste buds)
In a pot, saute your red onions, bell peppers and garlic in your olive oil, along with all of the seasonings. Once finished sautéing, stir in only 2 cups of the black beans, veggie broth and worcestershire sauce. In your blender, blend the other 2 cups of beans, along with your tomatoes and half of the parsely and spinach. Pour this blended mixture in your pot. Bring to a slight simmer, then add spinach, cilantro and parsley. Let it cook for another 10 minutes before serving.
Another tip (especially if you have a high powered blender), is to blend half of your finished soup to a smooth consistency. After blending, add that half portion back to your pot and stir. I am huge on texture and taste, which is why I chose to blend some.