One of my staple ingredients that is always added to my green smoothies are flaxseeds! These tiny seeds may appear to serve no purpose, but they are actually filled with a ton of health benefits, some of which are known to fight off symptoms of depression.
Health Benefits of Flaxseeds:
|Whole seeds & Ground seeds|
- perfect balance of omega 3-6-9
- high in alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) - good in treating depression
- helps lower high blood pressure and high cholesterol
- reduces symptoms of menopause
- eases Chron's and colitis stymptoms
- high in vitamin E
Vitacost has a variety of flaxseed options (seeds, powders, oils and pills) that is linked here
. I have faithfully purchased my ground flaxseeds from stores like TJMaxx and Marshals, in their home goods section. As an aside, the cost vs. amount is significantly better in these stores.