|cucumber, mint, ginger, lime juice, water and ice!|
Having had the wonderful experience of living in Houston, I find myself reminiscing on all the great food and drinks that I used to enjoy. Agua Fresca is one that is definitely a staple in my home, during the spring and summer months. They are so refreshing, versatile and...healthy!!
Agua Frescas are a Mexican tradition and generally are a blended mixture of fruits, vegetables, sugar, water and ice. Being that I owned a juice bar, I like to get creative with my frescas, by gauging the amount of sweetener to fruit ratio, often adding in chia seeds, nuts and grains, as well!
If interested in trying your hand at making agua frescas, start with a very simple recipe, such as the one above. I've included the recipe below:
Cucumber Mint Ginger Agua Fresca
- 2 Cucumbers, chunks
- 1 cup freshly squeezed Lime juice
- 1/2 cup of Raw Honey or Grade A Maple Syrup
- 20 fresh mint leaves
- 1 nub of ginger
- 4 cups water, divided into 2
- Place all of the ingredients into a blender and add only 2 cups of water. Cover and blend, until the consistency is very smooth.
- I prefer to strain my mixture, as I loathe pulp...so strain over a pitcher. Add the remaining 2 cups of water. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve, over ice.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Other elixirs could include subbing the cucumber for watermelon...super yummy!