Sidenote: I've had my dog for 15 years and I named her "Bella". My love for Italy runs deep. :)
Ok, back to this delicious Bolognese recipe...
Bolognese sauce is much like spaghetti, in that it is a meat sauce, but with the addition of milk (or cream). Traditionally, it is made with beef and slow cooked, similar to Ragu. I did a Ragu recipe, you can find here. Since I do not buy ground beef (at all), whenever I crave bolognese sauce, I reach for ground chicken. It's leaner and has less fat. Additionally, in Italy, you are not likely to find Bolognese made with spaghetti pasta, much less angel hair. But what can I say? I make do with what I have and pure enjoyment with every bite is the only goal.
Here's what you'll need:
- 1 lb of Ground Chicken (or Ground Beef)
- 4 Tomatoes, crushed
- 1 cup Celery, chopped
- 1 cup Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Carrots, chopped
- 1 cup Mushrooms, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Red Wine
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- Angel Hair Pasta
- Seasonings: Himalayan Pink Salt, Black Peppercorn, Garlic Salt, Parsley, Nutmeg
- Heat olive oil and ghee in a stovetop pot. Then saute celery, onions and carrots.
- Once slightly translucent, add and stir garlic.
- Add ground beef, along with pink salt, pepper, garlic salt and parsley. Stir.
- Add mushrooms and stir until meat is fully cooked.
- Pour in heavy cream and allow to cook down.
- Pour in red wine and also allow this liquid to cook down.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, dash of nutmeg, bay leaf and slow simmer for 2.5 hours.
- Serve over chosen pasta and garnish with parmesan cheese.
- This sauce is 10x better, after settling overnight. Enjoy!!