One of the questions that I am asked often include the amount of food one should be eating, or "portion sizes". It's really quite simple, so I wanted to break down some of the rules as it relates to portion control.
- Meats: 3 oz. of lean cut meat = a deck of cards OR the palm of a woman's hand
- Vegetables = 2 handfuls
- Cereal/Oats: 1 cup = about the same size as a fist
- Salad: 1 cup of leafy greens = 1 baseball
- Fruits: 1/2 cup = 1/2 baseball / 1 fruit = 1 baseball
- Fats: I don't recommend margarine, so you'll make note that these are your essential oils (olive, canola, flaxseed, almond, coconut oils, etc) = 1 dice OR the size of your thumb