If you haven't been around my blog, you should know that since about 2012, I have followed the "Eat Right 4 Your Type" nutrition model (see 2013 post here: http://www.food-mood.org/2013/08/eat-for-your-blood-type.html). Following the list of foods to eat/avoid have been a game changer in the health of my colon and overall digestive system. Whenever I work with nutrition clients, the first question I ask, is "what is your blood type?". If they do not know, I direct them to find out.
Here's what you need:
- 1 lb of dry garbanzo beans aka chickpeas, soaked overnight (drain prior to processing)
- 1 small red onion
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp of flour
- Seasonings: pink salt, black pepper, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper (if you know you know that I encourage season to taste)
- Vegetable oil of choice: I use grapeseed oil
- In a food processor, process all ingredients (in small batches) to a smooth consistency, but not mushy.
- Add processed mix to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Add an inch of oil to a skillet (I prefer a cast iron), form falafel mixture in the shape of a ball, then flatten and add to hot skillet.
- Cook on each side for about 5 minutes or until golden crispy brown :)
- Transfer all cooked falafel to a napkin lined dish, so that all oil can drain.
- Enjoy these fritters served dipped in hummus or tzatziki sauce OR in a pita filled with other vegetables, along with hummus AND tzatziki sauce...YUM!